Sometimes people ask what to send? It can be a bit different between sending packages to troops on the ground, versus Sailors at sea. We only receive mail about 1 time a week, or it could be as long as 6 weeks. That was the worst part of the holidays. We didn't get any mail until January. None in December, total morale killer. Although we did have a port visit, where we went out, bought a tree, decorated, etc. It made Christmas so much better since we were so far away from home!!
When we did receive packages in January, we were Christmas central. Candy canes and hot cocoa everywhere. It was amazing.
Some of the best things I have received are:
- Hygiene products (Toothbrushes/toothpaste/floss/lotion/shampoo/conditioner/etc)
- Healthy snacks (Fiber One bars, Nature Valley Protein Bars, KIND bars, dried fruits, trail mixes,etc)
- Books (I always read them and pass them around on board, or even send them to other friends on deployment)
- Magazines. We don't have TV here, so catching up via magazines is the way to go
- Fav non healthy snacks (Frango anything, Garretts popcorn, chewing gum)
- Drink mix (coffee, tea, low cal drink mixes like Crystal light singles, etc)
- Anything that reminds you of home (ND tee shirts, Chicago tees, CPD tee, etc)
- Pictures. I love getting pics of family and friends in the mail so I can add to my photo albums
- Supplements/Vitamins. The food isn't always the freshest/healthiest, so daily vitamins are key!
Off to work..until next time!