Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thankful

I am thankful for so many things, and am happy that I have the opportunity to spend Thanksgiving with my family again this year.  From 2004-2007, I spent Thanksgiving with my Navy family.  I spent 2004,2005, in port on the USS Iwo Jima.  2006 was spent out at sea returning from deployment on the USS Iwo Jima.  3 years in a row on that great ship.  2007 I spent the holiday with some friends from the USS Iwo Jima, Brian and Misty.  They hosted Jerry, Joe, and I to a wonderful southern holiday with their little girls.  Amazing how you remember every single one.  2008-2010 I have celebrated in Chicago with the family, which is great! 
My boss said he never saw me smile so wide today, and I said, "Sir, its Thanksgiving, of course I am smiling!"

I am thankful for so many things in my life.  My health, my faith, my family, my friends, my pup (love that dog), my job, and my freedom.  I am grateful that I have and continue to serve, and that I have friends, shipmates, standing the watch on days like Thanksgiving, so that other people may be free.  Friends like Ang, Adam, Joe, Kayla, Reid, the list goes on..because I am sure I am overlooking someone.  But you get the point.  I was there in 2006, standing TAO while crossing the pond on Thanksgiving day with one of my favorite Master Chiefs. 

When you gather around the table this week, please keep in mind those that can't spend the holiday with their families, because they are off defending freedom and democracy around the world.

USS Iwo Jima Superstructure taken from the Flight Deck 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!