Monday, May 28, 2012

Memorial Day

Today is a day to give thanks to the men and women who have gone before us.

I remembered Memorial Day as a kid.  I was usually at a Knights of Columbus annual convention with my parents, whether it was Chicago or Saint Louis.  A weekend full of mass, INDY 500, swimming pools, and BBQ.

Today, as an adult, I remember my shipmates who have gone before me.

LCDR Chris Williams
ENS Jeremy Drag
CSCS Lee Allen
MM2 Hercules

I served proudly with these 4 men.  These 4, among many others, is why I do what I do every day.  Why I hold my Sailors to a high standard, why I work on weekends and holidays.

So today, if someone asks what Memorial Day really means, think of these 4, and other great men like LT Michael Murphy, 1st LT Travis Manion, and LT Brendan Looney.  Every time I ever complain at work, I think back of the sacrifices these officers made.  My grievances then seem so minute compared to the bigger picture.

God Bless my friends deployed today, so that I can be safe tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!