Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Reflection..

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday!  I can't help but be so grateful for my wonderful friends who have been there for me all these years.  They made this holiday one of the best ones to date.  I was surrounded by friends and family every day, so much there was no down time, no time to get sad, etc.  But mean old mister roller coaster of emotions came out at my birthday dinner.  Reared his old ugly head, and got me teary eyed for about 5 seconds.  Thank goodness it was just me and my guy..I love him dearly.  He offered to call my friends and cancel my birthday drink gathering, but I couldn't do that to them.  With all the memories of Christmas past, and old traditions fading, and starting new traditions, this holiday was one of the best.  And the all those thoughts came to me at dinner..and poof.  Tears.  Not sad tears, but tears of joy.   I have spent Christmas in many exotic places: Hawaii, Oman, San Diego, Japan, Seattle, just to name a few.  This was the first holiday since 2005 that I have spent in Chicago.  My mother passed away in 2006, so I didn't feel the need to stick around for holidays anymore.  I would travel where the Navy told me to, or where my oldest brother was living at the time.  He has kids, and well..who doesn't love to spoil little ones?!  This year I saw almost all of my friends in Chicago.  I got to see my siblings that live in the city, and spend the holiday with my guy and his family.  His family is so inviting, and they make me feel so comfortable and loved.  I loved seeing my friends...just sharing a cup of coffee at Starbucks, having breakfast, or even grabbing an Irish Cider at my favorite pub just made our visits so much fun.  For me, happiness isn't material, it is being healthy, being surrounded by people you love.  My guy thinks I am crazy, that I love the Christmas card he gave me more than the gift.  Ok..I love the gift, but a handwritten note is just the best to me. 

I can't wait until I get to celebrate more holidays like this.  I feel like 5 years later, I have finally found my niche.  I have grown a lot, emotionally and spiritually.  I am happier.  I have a puppy..and she has taught me a lot about life and love.  I have also made a lot of new friends, strengthened those relationships, and had some fade.  All these thoughts came to me after I had an amazing brunch with two of my friends.  We know that we love each other, and  no matter what, we will be honest with each other, and look out for each other.  I am quite lucky to have people like this in my life.

This past holiday season, I am grateful.  For so many things.  My job, health, family, friends, faith, love, and traditions.  I hope that no matter what happens the next couple of years, I can look back at how happy I was this week, and continue to live my life to the fullest. 

Christmas 2011

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!