Saturday, June 16, 2012

What Inspires You..

I have had a pretty rough week at work.  I think I have rolled with the punches quite well.  At least that is what my Captain said.  His opinion is the one that matters.

I have had a lot of kinks in plans, but I have overcome many of the issues.  Nothing multiple 70+  hour work weeks can't fix.

Yesterday was especially terrible.  Everything that could go wrong, did go wrong.  Most of my support staff were not in the game.  This made me go into overdrive.  I was spent by 4pm.  Just dog tired.

Then one of my Chiefs asked me to re-enlist him yesterday.  I said of course.  I was honored to.  He has been such a blessing for me since I reported onboard, showing me the ropes.

I was his re-enlisting officer.  Normally I would administer the Oath Of Enlistment, but he had a different idea.  I asked him what his plan was...and I was smiling ear to ear after he told me.

We gathered at the 5 inch gun mount, which is the gun he is responsible for.  His wife and kids met us out there for the ceremony.  I was introduced to his beautiful family: wife, two daughters, and two sons.  Then he told me that his kids wanted to swear him in.  They each had a few lines of the Oath, and took turns re-enlisting their dad. It was a sight to behold.  They were dressed in patriotic attire, and were so happy to be there, supporting their dad.

This made all the negative energy, bad things, etc from the day just disappear.  It was nice to see what inspires my Chief to come to work, and excel on a daily basis.  It also made me realize what I have to be thankful for, and what inspires me.  My family, my guy, my friends, and my Sailors inspire me every day.  If it wasn't for all of those folks, I couldn't do what I do each and every day.  It also made me miss my guy that much more.  He has been in Europe for over a week.  It is tough not being able to see how his day was, but I guess it is just preparing me for the next year.

I just hope I am this optimistic in the next coming months.  I need more moments like yesterday.  Those are the great ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!