Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Lone Survivor

I went to go see this movie last Saturday.  One word.  Amazing.

Many people might not know the back story to the movie, but it is outlined in the book, Lone Survivor. 

I read the book in the summer of 2010.  My chaplain at work told me about it, and I decided to give it a read.  That chaplain was the man who had to notify one of the families of the death of their son due to this operation.  I couldn't put the book down.  I was reading on the 22 Clark Street Bus in Chicago, and started to cry.  Yep, cried on the bus.  But I wasn't embarrassed.  People can look at me like I am a crazy person.  Its cool.  I then gave the book to family members to read, and I haven't seen it back.  This is one story, that if I could buy copies of this book, and just distribute it to the masses, I would. 

After I finished the book, the chaplain called me into his office.  He asked me if I had time, and I did.  He then told me about that day, from his perspective.  He had the video of the memorial, which he put together for the families of the fallen.  He asked me if I would like to see the video.  I watched the video that day, and cried.  A lot.  With the chaplain.

Yesterday, when my friends and I went to the movie, I had one piece of advice-bring Kleenex.  I didn't loose it until the end, and then the waterworks kept going.  It wasn't just me.  It was the entire theater.  Who just sat there.  Cried, and then the applause was deafening at the end.  There was silence as everyone left the theater.  Grown men dabbing their eyes with Kleenex. 

If you get a chance, and can, please read the book and or go see the movie.  I won' t ruin the whole story for those who haven't had a chance to learn the story of Michael Murphy, Matthew Axelson, Danny Dietz, and Marcus Luttrell.  But if you see the movie.  Watch it carefully.  I noticed one thing, that made my heart happy in the end.  If you have seen it, and wonder what I am talking about, email me!!

Have you seen this movie or read this book?  Let me know what you think..

2 comments:

  1. another reason to live and support our military! i will have to read this book asap,my dad and i will see the movie together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this. I thought the movie was amazing and am so glad we saw it. My husband read the book so I think I'm going to steal it from him and read it myself :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!