Thursday, January 9, 2014

Taking a Step...

I have had an interesting week.  A long one at that.  Sick fiancĂ©, sick dog, work has been stressful, etc.

Out of the blue, I received a phone call from the past.  I was worried, because it felt like ex boyfriend day.  I was congratulated by one on my engagement (odd), and then, in the same day, another ex called.  All of this odd because these are relationships from over 10 years ago.  (Now I sound old). But I digress.

Well..ex numero dos called, and I was shocked.  I literally did not know what to say.  He apologized to me.  For all of his shortcomings in our relationship.  We broke up because he hid one thing really well.  He was an alcoholic.  In college, it was tough to see this, and when I realized he had such an issue, I begged him to get help.  I supported him.  I rallied behind him.  But he did not think he had a problem.  All in all, we broke up after I was commissioned as an Officer.  We kept in touch for about 5 years, but I haven't talked to him in 5 years.  When I did reconnect with him, I was trying to be his friend, and continued to try to get him help.  He refused. 

Fast forward to the phone call.  He called to tell me that he appreciated everything I did to push him in the right direction.  The genuine concern I had for him.  He said "I could have killed myself or someone else.  I finally got help 9 months ago when I hit rock bottom.  I haven't drank since".  I was in shock.  I didn't know what to say.  He proceeded to go on.  "I know it is selfish of me to apologize, and even think that you might accept this apology, but I have to do this."

What a lot of people might not know, that this is one of the steps of AA.  I am happy for him.  Truly.  He is on the right path in life.  He has gotten help, and will continue to thrive on the right course. 

Step 8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

Was it selfish of him to call.  Maybe considered that way to some folks.  Do I care?  No.  I am just glad he is ok.  The Lord works in mysterious ways..


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!