Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Chocolate and Strawberry Smoothie

So..in all themes of eating healthier...I am trying to eat smoothies almost each day for breakfast.  They serve breakfast at work.  Bacon, fried this, rice..all things full of fat and a LOT of starch.  I just can't do it.  And for the sake of time, it is just easier to eat at work.  That way I don't battle traffic, etc etc.  And this way, I can drink my awesome smoothie while perusing a million emails. 

So, I bought a new Cuisinart blender thingy so I could make better smoothies.  Yes, I know, why not just use your blender?  Because most blenders just can't crush ice.  I have tried and tried and tried with my old traditional blender, and it failed each time.  Plus, the Cuisinart system has multiple travel cups with lids included, perfect for work!

Here is my latest smoothie that I made...omg it was good.  Full of all things healthy.  It has some odd consistency due to the flax seed, but I got over it. Especially because I need the Omega 3 fatty acids. 

Not only is this smoothie gluten free, but it is also dairy free for those who have food allergies!
  • 1 cup of almond or coconut milk
  • 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (my stuff has 14g, got it at Whole Foods)
  • 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
  • 1/2  frozen banana (if you use fresh, it won't have the same smoothie consistency)
  • 1 tsp flax seed (can get kind of grainy.  If you don't need or want more Omega 3, can omit)
  • 1-2 tsp of cocoa powder
  • 4 ice cubes
Excellent source of protein and Omega 3!

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!