Sunday, January 2, 2011

Mexican Chicken Soup

I found a recipe last night that I knew I had to make today.  Its cold outside, football is on tv, and a spicy soup on the crock pot sounded like a great idea.  And it was!!!

I altered the recipe greatly to make much healthier.

Mexican Chicken Soup
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken cut into 1/2 inch pieces (I used Perdue ready made chicken..tastes great!)
1 11oz can whole kernel corn ( I used lower sodium corn)
1 can condensed cream of potato soup
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 1 1/4 oz envelope taco seasoning mix
3 cups chicken broth (I used lower sodium/fat here too)

sour cream and pepper jack cheese optional

I combined the chicken, drained corn, potato soup, cilantro, and taco seasoning mix.  I then added the chicken broth to the crock pot.  I covered it, and cooked it on low heat for 4-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours. 

I put a teaspoon of sour cream and a bit of pepper jack cheese in mine for extra flavor. 

Will taste great paired with Mexican Cornbread

Prep time: 20 minutes, Cook time: 2-6 hours, Makes: 4-6 servings

**the original recipe called for a lot of sour cream and cheese, I put optional because I know everyone has different tastes!**  has less than 20 carbs per serving **$12.37 and $2.06 per serving

Ingredients..didn't add the chilis, it was spicy enough!!

Finished product.  Yumm!!
I have plenty left over.  Will be a great lunch tomorrow!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!