Friday, March 11, 2011

Favorite Things Friday

I know this is a bit different from what I normally post.

I am travelling this weekend to be a part of a friend's retirement ceremony from the Navy.  I will be in his ceremony when this posts. 

I met some of the most important people in my life in various stages.  I met my friend Ken, along with many other dear friends, while I was stationed aboard the USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7).  Such a great ship!
Ken and his wife took us under their wing, and always welcomed us into their home with open arms.  The best part of being in the Navy, is that it really is a family.  The term "Navy family" is used often, but it does exist.  I have never felt more welcome at times than with some of these people in my Navy family.  We have celebrated holidays together at home and at sea, travelled together, and gotten through some amazing and difficult times together.  Those people you deploy with are like no other, you always know they will be there for you no matter what.  I remember Thanksgiving, 2006, onboard the ship.  Wouldn't have traded that holiday for the world..spending it with my shipmates.  If you can't spend holidays with family, shipmates are the next best thing.  I remember every Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, because I always spend those days with people I care about.

So, my favorite things today are my friends.  Glad I get to spend a weekend with the, and can't wait to catch up!

1 comment:

  1. Aww! I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your friends!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!