Monday, February 7, 2011

Hearty Barley Soup

So when I went to Seattle to visit for Christmas, my SIL made this soup.  I asked her to give me the recipe, and I got this one, and many others!

I thought since it is a bit cold out, and we got an epic amount of snow this week, that some hearty soup was a great idea for Sunday dinner..and left overs for the week!

Ingredients:

2 stalks celery thinly sliced
1 carrot, thinly sliced
1 cup diced cooked ham
1 small onion, chopped
1 16 oz can petite diced cut tomatoes
1 1.5 oz package of McCormick Sloppy Joe Mix
3 Cups of Chicken Broth
1/2 Cup Barley (I used Quaker Medium barley (slow cook, not instant)
Sour Cream (optional but sooooo soo good)

Saute celery, carrot, onion and ham in oil for a few minutes.  Add 1/2 tomatoes from the can and all the juice.  Add Sloppy Joe Mix, Chicken Broth, Barley, and simmer for an hour.  Serve with Sour Cream.

This is a dinner that costs about $10, a little more if you add some Pillsbury French Bread to the mix. 

Ingredients..forgot the ham for the photo..

Finished Product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!