Saturday, October 29, 2011

Maria High School

I read in the local Chicago newspaper, the Chicago Suntimes, that my beloved alma mater is scheduled to close in 2013.  I am deeply saddened, but not shocked by this news. 

Maria High School Article

This school was established by the sisters of St. Casimir on the south side of Chicago over 100 years ago.  My older sister went here, and it was a great school.  Picking a high school was tough for me.  I wanted to go to St. Ignatius, but my parents couldn't afford it.  I do not regret the choice I made to go to Maria.  The slogan there was "The right size, the right mix, the right choice".  I wholeheartedly believe that.  Each class had 300 students, it was diverse, and I got the best education possible there.  The school is in the Marquette Park neighborhood in Chicago, and a few years ago, the CTA shut down various bus lines that went to the school.  This had enrollment go from over 1000 students, to just 200-300.  There is also a neighborhood hospital right next door to the school, Holy Cross.  I believe if this bus didn't get shut down, the school would still be thriving.  My classmates came from all over the city.  I was fortunate that my brother drove me to school every day, but I took 3 buses home.  15 minute drive in a car, 1.5 hour bus ride home.  Worth every minute.

I learned some excellent life lessons here.  I also met some of my best friends at this school.  I can't even do my 4 years justice in just one blog post.  The smells from the Nabisco factory..smelling Vanilla Wafers while waiting for lunch, post practice food at Huck Finn, school dances...the list goes on.  I will have to post again in the future about this.  A Catholic education is something that is near and dear to my heart, and something that I will provide to my children in the future (if I have kids!!) 

http://www.mariahighschool.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!